World Scout Youth Forum Video by Francek Kornet, Filmed and Edited by: Jaka Jazbec
Slovenia, recently held the World Scout Youth Forum and World Scout Conference.
The World Scout Youth Forum, saw the Slovenian Scout Association and World Organization of the Scout Movement, collaborate to bring Scouts aged 18-26 from over 80 countries, to think about Our Movement, Our Community and Our Future. The theme was “One Tree, Many Branches”. The program saw many highlights, including a keynote address from Ahmad Alhendawi (UN Secretary Generals envoy on youth).
The Youth Forum saw an election of Youth Advisors. The Youth Advisors attend the World Scout Committee meetings, representing young people, ensuring that the needs of young people are met at World Scouting Level. Australia had one candidate up for a Youth Advisor, but the positions were filled by people from Ireland, Mexico, Maldives, Argentina, France, and Egypt.
The rest of the program saw presentations, workshops and plenary. Australia took a lead in the Plenary sessions, helping to lead debate that encouraged young people to be global citizens and stood up for human rights. The plenary was a practice run for the real thing, at the Conference.
The World Scout Conference then started and saw even more people attend. The greatest sight was a huge number of people from the Youth forum attending the Conference. As well as 800 additional people bringing the number over 1000. Australia had representatives there and were ready to work. All sessions during the conference were attended by Australians, learning more about how we can continue to create a better world.
Things to come out of the Conference and Youth Forum that Scouts Australia need to be aware of include:
• WOSM’s new Vision: By 2023 Scouting will be the world’s leading educational youth movement, enabling 100 million young people to be active citizens creating positive change in their communities and the world based on shared values.
• WOSM’s Triennial Plan 2014-2017
• Appointment of the new World Scout Committee, including Australia’s own Peter Blatch (QLD Branch).
• Azerbaijan: won the bid to host the 2017 WSYF and WSC.
• Ireland: won the bid to host 2021World Moot
• The additional networks we have with participating countries.
For further information and papers for the Youth Forum and Conference, please see http://www.scout.org/slovenia2014 or contact me.
National Youth Council Chair