What’s involved with being on the NYC:
As a member of the NYC, you are one of 27 youth members representing the views and opinions of over 52,000 Scouting youth members Australia wide. Without placing undue pressure, NYC members have big shoes to fill!
As a member of the National Youth Council you will be required to personally attend two conferences held on weekends in March and September, each year. You will also be expected to attend and contribute your topic patrol meetings online as part of a patrol (you can be in as many patrols as you like), considering a range of topics and issues presented to you for input. Consequently, reliable and regular internet and email access is essential.
It is expected that to properly represent your fellow Scouts, you set aside some time to research and find out about a topic that your Patrol is discussing, in between meetings.
Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to meet motivated youth members from every state of Australia and work with the National Team including the Chief Commissioner of Australia, and develop personal skills in a wide range of areas. If you are aged 18 or over during your appointment then you may be eligible to become the National Youth Council Chairman.
You need to be aged 13 – 23 (inclusive) on March 1st next year to be eligible.
Basic Membership Requirements
- You must be a registered member of Scouts Australia through your home State/Branch.
- You must be aged between 13 years and 23 years (inclusive) at the time of your appointment (March 1).
- You must have regular, reliable computer and internet access and be able to attend and contribute to monthly online meetings. Meetings are normally held via Goto Meetings, Google Hangout and Skype, and we make extensive use of Trello, Dropbox, Google Drive, SurveyMonkey, and other Scouts Australia online resources.
- You must be available to attend two conferences held on a weekend in March and September. (The cost is covered by Scouts Australia).
- Your application will be sent to your Branch Chief Commissioner for check and approval.
Appointments take effect from the Training Conference held in March, and continue for up to 36 months from that date. Your appointment is continually reviewed.